We've all been there – standing in a new city, not quite sure about the safety of our money. That's where the art of hiding your money on your body comes in handy. It's not about being overly cautious; it's about being prepared.
In this guide, we'll give you practical tips to keep your money safe, whether you're exploring a bustling market, out for a hike, or just going about your daily business. So, let's get started!
When Should You Consider Hiding Money on Your Body?
Credit: Envato Elements/ YuriArcursPeopleImages
Hiding money on your body is a safety measure that can come in handy in various situations. Here are some scenarios when you should consider concealing money on your body:
- Traveling to Unfamiliar Places: It's a good practice to hide money on your body when you're in a new or unfamiliar city, especially if it has a reputation for pickpocketing or theft. Tourist destinations and crowded places are often hotspots for such incidents.
- Exploring Shopping Areas: Busy markets and shopping areas are prime locations for thieves. Concealing your cash can provide an additional layer of security when moving through crowds.
- Outdoor Adventures: When going on outdoor activities like hiking, camping, or backpacking, you may not want to carry cash in a wallet or purse. Hiding money on your body can be a backup plan in case you need to buy supplies.
- Late-Night or Solo Outings:If you're planning to enjoy a night out in an unfamiliar city, it's wise to hide cash on your body. This can come in handy for transportation or emergencies, especially when local businesses might be closed.
- During Long Journeys:Whether you're taking a long bus ride, a train journey, or even a flight, having hidden cash ensures you're prepared for any unexpected delays or expenses during transit.
- When Carrying Large Amounts:If you need to carry a significant amount of cash, it's a good idea to split it up and hide it on your body. This minimizes the risk of losing all your money in case you're robbed.
- As a Backup: Even during your everyday activities in your hometown, it can be beneficial to have a small amount of money hidden away. This can prove useful in case you lose your wallet or encounter a situation where you cannot access your regular funds.
How to Hide Money on Your Body
Hiding cash on your body effectively is a crucial skill when it comes to ensuring your financial security while traveling or in other situations where you want to keep your cash safe. Here are some practical and easy-to-follow methods:
1) Travel Money Belts
Credit: Envato Elements/ Portoprens
A traditional money belt is a discreet pouch that you wear around your waist, under your clothing. They come in various styles, including ones that look like regular belts. You can use them to store folded bills, small amounts of currency, and essential documents like your passport or travel insurance information.
2) Neck Pouch
Credit: Travel Blue
A neck pouch is a small pouch that hangs around your neck, hidden beneath your clothing. It's perfect for storing smaller amounts of cash, credit cards, and important identification. Be sure to tuck it securely inside your shirt or blouse to keep it concealed.
3) Hidden Pocket
Credit: Clever Travel Companion
Some clothing items, especially travel clothing, come equipped with hidden pockets. These are designed to hold cash, cards, and small valuables without drawing attention. Look for garments like pants, shirts, or jackets with concealed compartments.
4) Ankle Wallet
Credit: Bags USA
An ankle wallet is a great option if you want to keep your cash away from your upper body. This discreet pouch wraps around your ankle and can hold folded bills, a key, or even a small emergency card.
5) Bra Stash
Ladies can consider using a bra stash, which is a small pouch that attaches to the center of your bra between the cups. It's an inconspicuous way to hide a small amount of cash or a key.
6) Shoe Wallet
Credit: Mad Dash
Shoe wallets are tiny pockets that can be attached to the laces of your shoes or tucked into your sock. They're suitable for carrying small bills, a key, or a USB drive.
7) Travel Vest
Credit: Envato Elements/ dolgachov
If you prefer a more versatile option, a travel vest with multiple hidden pockets can be a great choice. These vests have numerous pockets inside and out, allowing you to distribute your cash and other valuables strategically.
8) Invisible Pouches
Credit: Envato Elements/ photobalance
Some companies offer adhesive pouches that can be stuck to your skin, under clothing. These pouches are lightweight and ideal for carrying emergency cash discreetly.
9) Faux Objects
Consider using a decoy object or diversion safe like a fake cell phone case or an empty sunscreen container with a hidden compartment for money. Thieves are less likely to target seemingly unimportant items.
10) Underwear with Secret Pockets
Some specialized underwear comes with built-in secret pockets. These pockets are great for concealing smaller amounts of cash or valuables.
Additional Tips to Keep Your Money Safe
Credit: Envato Elements/ nina_p_v
In addition to hiding money on your body, there are several other tips and precautions you can take to ensure the security of your finances while traveling or in unfamiliar situations:
1) Keep a Dummy Wallet
Consider carrying a secondary wallet with a small amount of cash and expired or fake credit cards. In the event of a robbery, you can hand over the dummy wallet to distract potential thieves.
2) Divide Your Cash
Split your hidden money into multiple stashes, both on your body and in your luggage. This way, you'll have backup funds if needed, and you won't lose everything if one stash is compromised.
3) Carry Limited Cash
While it's essential to have some cash on hand, avoid carrying excessive amounts. Use credit cards or travel money cards for larger purchases whenever possible, as they offer added security and protection against theft.
4) Use RFID-Blocking Products
To protect your credit cards from electronic theft, consider using RFID-blocking wallets or sleeves. These prevent criminals from scanning your card information remotely.
5) Learn Local Scams
Familiarize yourself with common scams in the area you're visiting. Knowledge is your best defense against falling victim to fraud.
In a world where security is essential, knowing how to conceal money on your body can provide peace of mind and added protection for your finances. By following these simple tips, you can ensure your funds are discreetly tucked away, allowing you to focus on enjoying your adventures without worrying about your money's safety.
And, for an added level of security, consider using Travah's Diversion Safes. With Travah, you can discreetly stash your valuables in everyday items, blending seamlessly in plain sight. Shop with us today.